The new year has been cold here in Southern Oregon. The trees are covered with frost in the morning, and our breath makes steam when we dare step outside. That, of course, makes it the perfect time to have a pot of delicious soup simmering on the stove.
I’m quite convinced that cheese is one of the most celestial ingredients imaginable, so I knew that whatever soup I made today would definitely require adding some tangy cheddar.
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ lb fresh broccoli, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion in the 1 tablespoon of melted butter until translucent.
- In a large pot whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 40 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Add nutmeg, salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese.