We’re on a soup kick here in the Bald Food Dude household. After yesterday’s mellow Broccoli Cheddar Soup, we wanted something a little tangy and crisp today. After checking the refrigerator and pantry, a slow-cooked batch of Creamy Tomato Vegetable soup seemed perfect.
It can be a lot of fun when unexpected things happen during the cooking process. Today was definitely one of those days as I tried to carefully pour a can of tomato sauce into the slow cooker, only to have it virtually explode and splatter – literally – all over the kitchen. It looked like a tomato bomb had gone off. My wife, who truly enjoys finding the humor in my clumsiness, was delighted.
The silver lining of my messiness was the simmering pot of delicious soup ready to be devoured with crusty bread and satisfaction.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 28 oz can whole stewed tomatoes
- 2 14 oz cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a large slow cooker, combine all ingredients except for cream and shaved parmesan. Top with the lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Use a blender to puree the soup in batches, or use a wand blender.
- Add heavy cream to the pureed soup and mix. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese and serve.