For most of the past two decades I have been a half-hearted vegetarian. There’s definitely a story behind that description…and it started with biting into a particularly gristly piece of meat and realizing that I could be very content going the rest of my days never having that experience again. So, as much as I’d like to say my pseudovegetarianism (is that a word? of course it is…now!) was the result of deeply-held social/environmental convictions, it was really just a matter of squeamishness.
All of that changes, however, when it comes to this ginger beef stir fry.
Meat, vegetables, and seasoning quickly blended together over high heat…stir fry is one of those dishes that is a perfect combination of ease, aroma, flavor, and satisfaction. You can use practically anything you have on hand to concoct your own version (in full disclosure, though, ice cream doesn’t work as well as you might hope), making the customized combination possibilities virtually endless. Cooking the beef with ginger and chilies give this recipe a nice bit of heat without being overpowering.
Now, I am certain this would be a delicious stir fry even if it didn’t have the beef. Should I return to my pseudovegetarian ways I will happily give it a try with some seasoned tofu or strips of tempeh. For right now, however…for this particular moment…let there be beef in the skillet, and let it be delicious.
- 1 package dried medium egg noodles
- vegetable oil
- 1 lb beef, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 1-2 large fresh chili peppers, finely sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 6 green onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 6 white or baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (save some sprigs for garnish)
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- juice of 1 lime
- Cook the egg noodles in boiling salted water until just tender. Drain, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large wok or a heavy-based frying pan until very hot. Add a splash of vegetable oil, then stir-fry the beef slices with the garlic, ginger, and chilies until nearly cooked.
- Add in all the vegetables, seasoning to taste with soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, and the juice of half a lime. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the cooked noodles and toss well over the heat.
- Be sure to not overcook!
- Plate the stir fry, season with lime juice, and garnish with cilantro.