Today being Valentines Day, it seemed like a good excuse to sidle up close to the Curly-Haired Chick, go to the kitchen, and make one of our favorite dishes. All those tangy tomatoes, the creamy shrimp and sauce, and the subtle bite of the zucchini make for a perfect date night offering. (The glass of wine we drank as we cooked helped, too.)
I’m a big fan of pasta. Always have been. The Curly-Haired Chick, not so much. She loves flavor, though, so this scampi variation is great common ground for us. We like eating it with crusty bread so you can soak up every last drop of the buttery wine sauce. (Incidentally, I am fully aware that 4 Tablespoons of butter is excessive. Trust me…it’s worth it!)
Seriously…with a dish this simple, rich, and delicious, there’s no reason to ever visit Olive Garden again! Make it tonight and send me a thank you card tomorrow.
- 1/2 pound shelled and deveined shrimp
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white wine or sherry
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large zucchini, cut into smallish pieces
- 4 cups yellow and red cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- cooked angel hair pasta
- In a large skillet, melt butter and sauté shrimp until nearly cooked through. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Add white wine and lemon juice. Simmer sauce a couple of minutes until it begins to thicken, then set aside in a separate bowl.
- Add olive oil to pan and heat. Sauté zucchini for about 5 minutes. My wife loves when it starts to get a bit browned, but go with your preferred degree of doneness.
- Add tomatoes and parsley and cook, covered, a couple more minutes until the tomatoes are heated and about to burst.
- Combine the zucchini, tomatoes, shrimp, sauce, and pasta in a large bowl.
- Serve with shaved Parmesan, crusty bread, and something delicious to drink.